Friday, July 25, 2014

Why I Have Three Diaper Bags

Before my son was born, I read lots of tips that suggested having three sets of crib sheets and three changing pad covers. One that would be in use, one that would be in the laundry hamper/washer/dryer, and one that would be in the closet. Well, these are great tips, but do not apply to my three-diaper-bag situation. So why do I have three diaper bags?

Well, I got all of them as gifts (one off my registry and two from different military spouse baby showers) and wasn't really intending to use them all (at least, not all at once). But my mom suggested putting one (stocked with diapers and wipes) in the back of my car in case I ever run out of the house without my fully stocked diaper bag.

Then, just recently, I began using my third one. My main diaper bag is so heavy and really all of that stuff isn't necessary for quick trips (but it's great for all-day outings). So I put the most minimal stuff in that extra bag for shorter trips.

What is in each of my diaper bags:

 
1. My "main" diaper bag (which is a JJ Cole diaper bag from Babies R Us, by the way)
  • Diapers (duh) - about 7 or so
  • Wipes (in the wipes case that came with the bag)
  • The changing pad that was included with the bag
  • An extra onesie (in case of diaper blowouts)
  • An extra hat, bib, and socks
  • Pacifier
  • Burp cloth
  • Blanket
  • Nursing cover
  • Teething toy (right now I have Sophie the giraffe and Innobaby's grape teether in my bag)
  • Rattle or other toy (or two or three... currently I have a wooden rattle and a jingly ball in my bag)
  • Hand sanitizer (as much as I dislike it, sometimes it comes in handy)
  • Stain remover
  • Baby sunscreen
  • Lint roller (a mini one of course)
  • Chapstick and lipgloss (probably a few too many of each, but it's always been a weakness of mine)
  • Disposable nursing pads and tampons
  • A mini sewing kit (I could probably take this out... but I know the minute I do I'll tear a hole in my pants or something...)
  • Baby orajel
  • Gum (for me, obviously!)



2. My "mini" diaper bag (really the same size, but just lighter because there's fewer things inside... this one is a Truly Scrumptious by Heidi Klum bag)
  • Diapers (roughly 3 at a time)
  • Wipes - no case came with this one, just a clear bag that is secured to the inside of the diaper bag, so I put a travel pack of wipes in there.
  • The included changing pad
  • A burp cloth
  • Blanket
  • Pacifier


3. My "car" diaper bag (this one is always in my car and has come in handy when I go on a short walk around my apartment complex and don't take anything with me. If I need to change his diaper in a hurry, my car is always closer than my apartment so I can just lay him down in the trunk to change him. This one is an inexpensive Walmart bag)
  • Diapers (usually about 7-10, I don't restock this one as frequently since I don't keep it in the apartment)
  • Wipes (in the included case)
  • Included changing pad
  • Burp cloth


It may seem excessive, but this system has really come in handy. I'm so glad I "discovered" it. Before I started using my lighter diaper bag (diaper bag #2), I would take a couple things out of my main one and throw them into an empty tote bag or hobo bag to go on short walks with. My main diaper bag is so heavy and doesn't fit in the compartment under the stroller, so I end up carrying it and that just gets exhausting (and painful!)

My third diaper bag, the one I keep in my car, is the cheapest of the three at only $13 I believe. If buying three "nicer" diaper bags is out of range for you, just go for three inexpensive ones. Or even, one diaper bag and two other bags that you have laying around (I have a bunch of different fabric shopping bags and other totes I've collected over the years, this would be a good use for them!); fill those other bags with your diapers and wipes, and you're good to go in a pinch!

Do you have other diaper bag tips, or a similar (or different) diaper bag system? Comment below!
Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This

No comments:

Post a Comment